Friday, September 4, 2015

Learning Some Best Practices

An important lesson learned from this endeavor is that the knowledge of implementing a system with a wide scope such as an ERP, is very different from engaging in a traditional systems development project like that of programming a system for an audit group.  I would compare this undertaking to an experience I had in implementing a human capital management system for a local telecommunications company.  However the very obvious difference for me would be my level of involvement and exposure for the two different implementations.

Being a programmer and technical consultant were my primary roles for the human capital management implementation, and back then I was basically oblivious to the big picture changes and improvement that the implementation had on the client.  I was mainly just concerning myself with the customized features and reports that were required by the process owners and were identified during the gap analysis.  Making sure that the programs and reports I created operated and computed the correct information that was needed by the users for them to continue with their tasks.  Way back then the only standards or best practices I focused on was about programming and development, and that the only measurement of success that I bothered with were how fast my reports and programs were executing, did they conform with what the users were visually expecting and were they producing accurate information for the end-users to consume.


I always kept an abstract idea of the implications of implementing an ERP system had to an organization.  Moreover, being immersed in this venture, I am now exposed to the sentiment that aside from recognizing gaps between the chosen system to be implemented and the current operating procedures of the business units, there were still several other activities involved to successfully execute the project implementation.  Likewise, the measurements used to gauge the success of these activities goes beyond the evaluation of customized functions and reports.  The resulting effect of these measurements eventually affect the net benefits that an organization can gain from the implementation of a system as extensive as an ERP system.

No comments:

Post a Comment