Saturday, April 2, 2016

Career Lifecycle is oddly similar to the Industry Lifecycle

I noticed that the Industry Lifecycle model and the journey of my career had striking similarities.

In the Industry Lifecycle, like most careers starts with rhe Introduction, Growth, Maturity, and often falls prey to Decline.  When their careers do not decline, there are those who would eventually would become complacent and eventually stagnate never improving or aiming to progress further.

A mentor recently suggested that I might want to re-evaluate my stay at the institution.  She mentioned this after me sharing my story with her regarding the recent events happening in the institution.  Somehow, she was able to provide me with a different perspective of my current state.  That even if I was pushing for innovations in the department, the administrators would normally say that these ideas were not aligned with institutional strategies, or implementing such projects is too soon for the department.  In retrospect, the whole situation did feel like the department was not growing as fast as it used to and that top management support was gradually vanishing.  These situations, for me, indicated that my career as a formator in that institution has hit a plateau.  The only way for me to innovate and continuously improve my craft and skills is to move on and get involved in a different setting where I still am able to mold minds and apply my new found skills in management.




No comments:

Post a Comment