Saturday, April 2, 2016

Simplicity Cycle

A common mistake that I have previously committed, and which I sometimes catch myself doing as my default action is to complicate things, or even over analyze.

I have always had a need to always do good and do right by my ways, that often when my initial steps would not work, I would end up either increasing the complexity of my work just to force myself to progress, ending up with a very convoluted piece of document or program code.  Or, find myself stuck on a problem and unceasingly do research to try to analyze every piece of the problem and end up with no solution in sight.

As the years progressed, I have learned to relax some of the constraints I have regarding doing good and being right all the time.  Instead of aiming to know everything, analyzing every detail, or safeguarding my solution for every possible anomaly, I have come to understand that sometimes it is better to start with what I have and produce an output that directly answers the problem.  Moreover, as requirements and parameters grow, producing a simpler answer more beneficial since it can address the concern at the same time, allows me to progress naturally.

Now I find it amusing that there is a model developed for it, and it is a strategy that can easily be applied to most situations in life and career.





No comments:

Post a Comment