Saturday, April 18, 2015

Competency Development

One of my many realizations for this trimester, one that I never got to previously relate during my stint in the IT industry, is that building and measuring academic competencies and developing key indicators for these to gauge if students have successfully acquired the required skills are actually similar to the way assessment tools for employees are created.

I have had the pleasure of evaluating people during my time in the IT industry, and still get to do that in the academe.  But I never perceived these evaluation instruments to be related to the competency mapping, key performance indicators and such that we as curriculum coordinators were being trained to do ever since.

I find it remarkable every time I see different responsibilities and get to relate them together, it proves to me that I am slowly broadening my perception of job descriptions and tasks, and I am beginning to understand how they would all be interconnected.  During the our class’ discussions on competency development, I have had several eureka moments when I saw that one of the greater factors involved in people management, is the assessment of individuals.  Assessment would only be the start of an entire process of developing people, because if there are employees who would been lacking key competencies, a strategy has to be created in order to develop in these people the right skills needed by the company and thus increasing this employee’s value to the organization.

All of these are very much like how teachers should be when developing their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment